Giving back isn’t about affluence. It’s about influence.
Private foundations, endowments and nonprofit organizations that are focused on giving back face unique financial challenges. The Charitable Services Group of U.S. Bank provides comprehensive, targeted consulting services designed specifically to enhance the management of foundation and endowment assets and support the needs of planned giving services. The experience of our professionals can augment the strengths of your existing staff and help your organization work toward its mission.
If your family has a private foundation (or seeks to establish one), you can leverage the experience and abilities of our team at the Charitable Services Group to handle day-to-day administration, freeing you to focus on your foundation’s purpose. We can work as your foundation’s virtual office and staff or as an extension of your existing staff, providing support across a broad spectrum of key functions, including:
- Establishment of the foundation, including collaborating with tax and legal advisors on organizational formation and completion and filing of required documentation
- Setting objectives for the foundation and planning strategies to work toward philanthropic goals while potentially avoiding legal and personal issues
- Crafting administrative procedures such as guidelines for foundation funds, communications, procedures and forms for grant applicants
- Financial reporting for each entity and processing of grants and scholarships with a focus on reducing the administrative burden on the family
- Regulatory support to ensure that the foundation remains compliant with tax laws and other legal reporting requirements, including the preparation of private foundation tax returns
Investment management and endowment services
The effective management of your organization’s investable assets is critical to its ultimate success. The resources of our Charitable Services Group are put to work for your organization. We provide investment consulting services that include an intimate understanding of your organization’s investment priorities and a thorough due-diligence process. Ultimately, we provide a customized set of recommendations, identifying appropriate money managers across a wide range of classes. We place a special emphasis on screening out investments that might jeopardize the charitable status of your organization or that are contrary to its mission. Additionally, our vetting process can incorporate an emphasis on social responsibility if you wish.
Institutional planned giving services
For a nonprofit to thrive, it is crucial to establish and retain an ongoing stream of gifts from donors. Our Charitable Services Group can support your efforts to boost endowments through new bequests, charitable trusts, charitable gift annuities and named funds. We offer technical support and resources that include:
- Donor consultations to support efforts to provide seamless and responsive service that shows donors they are a priority
- Marketing support to help promote your planned giving program, including training of your development staff and consultation on communications
- Tax services to help your organization meet its tax-filing requirements. While U.S. Bank does provide tax services, it does not provide tax advice.
- Farm and ranch management (a unique specialty of our organization) to oversee the operation and management of these properties
- Real estate services to help manage property holdings, providing our expertise in both rural and urban markets
- Compliance support to help your organization adhere to the unique rules, regulations and laws that apply to planned giving practices. We stay current with changes in laws and procedures that must be followed to meet compliance requirements on an ongoing basis.
The Charitable Services Group of U.S. Bank combines a long history of financial expertise with unique experience and understanding of the specialized needs of non-profit organizations, endowments and private foundations.
Contact Mike Penfield, Charitable Services Group Managing Director at 800.522.9100 to find out more about our exclusive products and services.